Every so often people ask me about the best places to start learning icon design. I've gone through my bookmarks to collect some of my favorite icon-design related resources below.
- Milky, Nyanko Sensei [Pedja Rusic]
- ComicBunch, Rocketter, Subway Trash Can [Nikolay Verin]
- Valentine's Icon [Cuberto]
- About App Icons, Icon Sizes, Icon Metaphors [Louie Mantia]
- Many Mirrors, The Versions Icon, Iconic [Jasper Hauser, Hugo van Heuven]
- The Interarchy Icons, Here, Icon, Icon [Sebastiaan de With]
- Icons and Logos are NOT the same [Michael Flarup]
- Icon Design Process Presentation [John Hicks]
- 10 Mistakes in Icon Design [Turbomilk]
- macOS Icon Design Guidelines
Apple's icon guidelines contain a lot of the basic information about how to make a good icon.
- Application Icons [Need a Mac]
To view an Application's icon in full resolution, right click on the app in Finder and select
"Show Package Contents". Then open the
Contents/Resourcesfolder and look around for a file with the extension
.icns. That's the icon file. You can use Quicklook [Spacebar] to view the full size only, or open it in Preview to see all of the different sizes.
- Coretypes.bundle [Need a Mac]
Most system icons are stored in
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/. You can either navigate here by hand, or use ⌘ + Shift + G to bring up the Go To Folder window and paste the above path into the input field.
Send me a mention on twitter if you've got a resource you like but I've left out!